Thank you for becoming a volunteer with Good Shepherd’s nursery! We are looking for members and regular attendees who are willing to love the children and families of Good Shepherd! Our goal is for parents to feel welcome and able to worship, knowing their child is well-cared-for. Our children benefit from seeing the Body of Christ in action. After all, this is our little ones’ first glimpse of the Church. Here are some important things to remember, so that everything runs safely and smoothly:
- Please be in your assigned nursery room by 10:15 or earlier.
- Please wear provided name tag.
- As parents arrive with their children, introduce yourself! Help them to feel welcome.
- Each child entering the nursery must have a name tag / safety sticker.
- Check name tag for any listed allergies.
- No adult should be alone with a child at any time. When assisting a child with thepotty, leave door slightly ajar.
- Only women may change diapers and assist children in the restroom.
- When changing diapers, please spray changing pad with 7th Generation disinfectant between each changing. Plastic gloves are provided for you to wear when changing diapers, and plastic bags are provided for the disposal of dirty diapers.
Curriculum (0-1yr olds)
- Play, read, listen to music, sing, whatever keeps those babies happy!
Curriculum (2-3yr olds):
- 10:30-10:45 Free Play
- 10:45-11:00 Snack
- 11:00-11:15 Story
- 11:15-11:30 Color/Free Play
- 11:30-11:45 Clean Up
- For safety reasons, a child may only be released to an adult. Guardian MUST present you with the corresponding safety number when picking up their child.
- Remove sticker name tag from child’s back, and release to guardian once safety number has been confirmed.
- Nursery children will not be released to siblings. Only adults may pick up.
- We have policies in place to retrieve a parent from the sanctuary if necessary for crying or behavioral issues. Use common sense and follow the discipline policy.
- Remain in the room until all children have been picked up.
- Follow the posted clean-up procedure after children have been picked up:
- Put away snacks and supplies.
- Wipe toys with Lysol / Clorox wipes or spray with disinfectant spray and return the toys to bins and shelves.
- Wipe down tables with Lysol / Clorox wipes.
- Wipe changing table with 7th Generation disinfectant.
- Tie up trash and dispose of in outside dumpster.
- Place name tags back in box.
- Notify your Nursery Director (Julie Lovett) of any low supplies. You can find her in-person after dismissal or leave a note on the provided white board.
The room is now off limits to children.
You will receive a volunteer schedule by email. If you are unable to work your designated date, it is your responsibility to switch with someone from another team. Please do so as soon as possible.
- Adults MUST sub for adults.
- Switch with someone from the same age group when possible (0-1yr vs. 2-3yr). – Or call a sub from the list.
- Switch with someone of the same gender when possible.
- If you are unable to find a sub, contact your Nursery Director ASAP.
- Please inform your Nursery Director of any schedule changes.
Policy on Volunteer’s Children Helping in the Nursery
- NO children may work in the infant (0-1yr) nursery.
- Middle school aged children and up (6th grade +) may be placed in the rotation if parents and Nursery Director feels he / she is responsible.
- Volunteers under the age of 18 may NOT change diapers, take children to the bathroom, or be left alone with children.
- Children aged K-5th grade may assist a parent in the nursery ONLY if a parent is not available for child to sit with in the worship service. They may assist in the 2-4 year-old classroom only.